Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Car-free? not so much #4

To think that we could ever go car free in America scares me, just to talk about it, sure! Why not? Sounds good and everything, but if we were to go out in the streets and ask every American how would they feel about going car free? Unless if you live in New York or within walking distance to your job, or in one of the major cities in America which could actually be able to survive going car free that would be great! But here in Texas! Not so much, I personally use my car every single day, school is 30 minutes away, downtown is almost one hour, my job is about twenty, and I use a car for my job, so therefore I would loose my job if we go car-free, or it would take me a week to do stuff around the ranch. Some people actually do save money by going car free. I’m talking about not having to pay for gas, insurance, car expenses, maintenances and what not! But not every city has the benefit of the subways and everything else been in the one digit mile. As far as I’m concerned here in America we care too much for our values and belongings and a car here is not just used as transportation, but also as luxury! We could never go car-free here; we do not live in China where half of the people ride their bikes to work! Plus we are way too lazy for that. The Government could or should have passed some type of law regarding the number of cars per house and not house members. I sure do agree that we have way too many cars in one house, seriously drive around any neighborhood and almost every house there about 3 or 4 cars parked in the drive way, my house sure is one of them. Would we benefit by going car-free, I don’t think so, but would we benefit by reducing the number of cars by house? Oh yes! I don’t appreciate traffic and the number of cars everywhere.


http://www.eschatonblog.com/
http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/carless-in-america/

No comments:

Post a Comment